2012/02/19

2/17 課堂筆記 The Power of Default

In the TED talk we discussed this week, Dan Ariely is trying to make a point about 'irrational decision making'. But it seems to me that the main connecting idea between his examples is the power that a default choice has upon the decisions we make.

Here are the concluding statements by the people participating in our 2 hour discussion.


I think the world we're living in now is too complicated for me. We're surrounded by ads, commodities, documents… And after today, I feel I cannot trust what people say and the documents I'm going to sign.

[general agreement]

You know, everything is designed.

It's one minute, and make a decision!

Yeah, I think, I never thought that default is so powerful for people, I think, because the choices make us have different feelings about making a choice. so, maybe, that's not about advertisement, or culture or, I don't know how to define it, but I think: Socialization is a kind of default. I'm so impressed by this idea, I never thought I'm in a default, you never feel the default effect.

That's true.

Yeah, so i was impressed.

We've talked about choice for many weeks, through these discussions I've found that how to make choices or how we are affected in terms of making this choice is very important in our life, in our society. I've found that now I'm very interested to learn more about the art of choice, because I've found that I can make more profit from the knowledge of choices. I can learn how to make people do what ever I want them to do! And I can avoid being tricked by other people. Yeah, so my conclusion is, everyone should need to learn the art of choice.

I was thinking that you mentioned the cultural default, I was thinking that in Asian culture, many of the times i will, because the main culture chooses a certain way, I will choose the other option, because I don't want to be like other people. But, when I think about it, this other option, is it really my choice? Or is it just because I don't want to be like the other people?

Sometimes it's just confusing!

Okay, so in the course of the class, 'default' was defined like this:
It's something that is set up and recommended for you.
My thoughts on this definition are this:
The key is not only that it's already been created and defined, it's also recommended. The people doing the setting up are also in a position to advise you that theirs is the best choice.
In a situation like technology, this is probably pretty neutral. But in a situation like culture, it really changes how you understand the choices people are making. I definitely want to continue exploring this idea.