2011/10/15

10/14 課堂筆記 Play

Final Statements:
I want to say that it's a lot of fun when all of us were talking about what we played when we were young. I feel like we were playing.
Oh, you're right! The conversation really felt different.
The End! (Point made!)

So coming here on Fridays to discuss, it's not playing?
It's diffrent playing.
I think it's playing, because we're very careful not to dominate each other.
The End!

Well, I was thinking about Wang Jienming, he gets to play for a living.
It can't be playing, because he has to win all the time, it's a job!
It's working!
It's a competition, it's not a game anymore!
The End!
So if you're in an orchestra, it's not really playing either, right?

So, would the world be different if everyone was playing all the time?
Oh, it definitely would.
And I think kids, they don't know what 'learning' is. What they do is just playing. Like my sister's kid, she can read a lot in kindergarten, but she doesn't think she's learning, she's just playing, she doesn't have this idea that she's 'learning'. She just learns out of play.
Just like I watch a Japanese drama, so I learned some Japanese.
Yeah, my friend learned some Cantonese, just by watching Hong Kong dramas. She watched a lot, so she could understand people in Hong Kong when she went there.
My personal feeling is that you have to be playing at some level, in order to learn. You can't learn when you are forced.
End.
Yes!!! Hahaha


1. What does 'play' mean?
creation, enjoyment, no responsibility, feel human again, behave equally, not serious, making your own rules, do something you're really interested in,

2. Do you play? Often?
No.
Sometimes.

Do you play enough?
No.

3. What sort of things do you do when you play?
I arrange my markers in color order.
doing something with no purpose.
I like to fold paper.
like origami?
no just fold them, make them smaller and smaller
I like to wander around in the streets
Oh yeah! (group yeah!)
Sing by myself, like in the shower.
I like dusting, because then I get to arrange things just 'so'.

4. What did you do the last time you played?
when I had a trip with my friends in Hualien, we rode bicycles by the sea.
does chatting count?
I think so.
so just chatting.
Like sitting in Danshui and chatting and watching the sun go down.
cooking is a kind of play.
can be, not always! Not for mothers, 3 meals a day, what you're supposed to do.
like, I just tried to figure out how to make crepes, and that was fun, but now that i'm good at them it's no fun anymore.

5. Do you remember what kinds of things you did when you were playing as a child?
Talked to my dolls. I would line up my dolls from big to small and tell them to be good when I was gone. I think I wanted to be their mom.
So you're born to be a teacher! You told them to be good!
I played with my pencils. I liked to play by myself with tiny things like pencils or things like that. I would create stories, and imagine green pencils are green angels and suchlike, and they were going to save our world.
When I was a kid, my sister and I would make up dramas, like TV programs.
Because there were two of you. When I was little, there was only me. So I only could play by myself, I was five when my sister was born.
Kids like to play pretend. My two neices are always saying, ok, so pretend that here's a…., or pretend I'm the sister…

someone pretends they're a ghost

6. Of the things you do by yourself, what do you enjoy doing the most?
7. Would you consider that playing?
8. Of the things you do with friends, what do you enjoy doing the most?
9. Would you consider that playing?

10. Do you like to play with little kids?

sometimes you like to play with little kids because you like their laughing.
I like to because then you get to be openly playful

11. Do you think of yourself as playful?
yes
yes
it's okay

12. How do you feel when you're absorbed in doing something you really enjoy?
I'm the king of this world!
so satisfied
happy

13. Have you ever watched kids playing? What was your response?
14. How do you feel when you're playing with a cat or a dog?

i've never played with animals
happy


15. When you're in a group of people playing a game, how do you feel?
connected, a part of something else, like I'm the game or something

16. What is the difference between playing and working?
responsibility. when you're working you always feel that you are responsible for something, but when you're playing, there's no such burden. when you're working you end up caring about how other people look at you, but you don't need to care about that when you're playing
I feel relaxed when I'm playing, but I can't feel relaxed when I'm working. You have pressure! You have to get the job done on time!
The principle can come into your office at any time, how can you feel like playing?

17. Does it matter if you're working for someone else or yourself?
No, because the pressure is still there. When you work for yourself, what you need to care about is, do you have enough income. Income is the burden.
You still have some worries.
It's still work. It's still not play. You need to do it. But playing, if you lose interest, you can quit it.
Tat's the key point! You still have to do it if it's work
Well you can quit, but then you have to face the consequences!

18. If a group kept a playful mood when they were doing work, do you think they would work well together? Do you think the work would get done as needed, or take longer, or shorter?

Does keep a playful mood mean not following the rules or keep creating something?
Maybe it depends on the kind of work? If you're an architect, i would say so.
But in a bank, it's hard to keep a playful mood. There's mountains of rules we have to obey, or we will lose the confidence of the public.
I would fail at a bank job. I'm so not cut out for that.
And, you have to document everything.
So it's hard to keep a playful mood when there's so many rules.
If you work in a hospital, you can't have a playful mood, because when you dispense drugs, you can't joke around, and you have to be clear. And you must be serious.

Do you think it would be possible to have a bank where everyone's very precise with what they do, without being a hierarchy.
I don't know, because every transaction there's got to be two people to check it.

19. Do you learn from playing?
20. Do you think children learn through playing?

21. Do you agree with this idea?

Yes, but some people want to show their importance in the group, they won't self-handicap.
But then do people still play with them?

But, if it's a competition, if I'm the weaker one, I will not feel better when a stronger one self-handicaps.
Yeah, it's a loss of face.

So when a game becomes a competition, it's not playing anymore. We reject the person who's shwoing their importance
But some people stil want to win all the time.
And so it's no fun to play with them!!

22. Do you think that being playful leads to being egalitarian?
I think it's true, because you will learn how to cooperate.
Oh, or how to…
It's not necessary to be egalitarian, but it creates harmony among people, working together or playing together…yah, maybe yes.

23. Do you think that being in a playful mood counters the impulse to dominate?
24. Does being playful leads to being nonviolent?

Yeah, because you are not always trying to win, and you could be tolerant of failures or problems, so it makes people more nonviolent.
and because no one can be dominant while playing…
so it leads to harmony

25. Do you agree with this statement?
"Life is Play."
I do and I don't. I'd like for it to be true.
Yeah, I hope it would be true, but unfortunately, it's not always play. For example, when I was doing my experiments, I can't play around with it, because I must be serious about it.
But we can try to be more creative in our lives, or
the lifestyle can be in a playful mood, but sometimes, when we are working,
you need to be more serious. but you can also take that less seriously

26. How about this one?
"You must work for a living."
As you said, "all work and no play….."
it's true, it's so true!!
so we need to rest, and travel, and eat, and watch television, and watch fei guang ming you.
if you don't have work, you don't know what play is.
yeah.
and if there's no play, you don't know wha tyou work for.

sometimes, play can be work, like if you have to finish one part of a project to get to the part you liek, but you can't skip that part.

27. Is our society playful?
Absolutely not!
I totally agree!
Our parents always tell us we need to work harder.
and our society tells us this, our gvt tells us this.
so we don't have an egalitarian society.
right, a few people want to dominate others, but in a play society, they can't dominate others, so they make this society not playful, so that they can dominate.
Holy cow, I think I agree with you.


Sentence Construction
Diploma
I got my diploma!!!
I've only had my diploma for five days and everybody's already asking me about if I've got a job. Grrr.

I thought so too!

The paragraph describes how the young child played with water and…

Practicing is for a goal or an end, whereas playing is about doing it because you like it.

Practicing means following certain rules, and playing means having no rules, or breaking the rules, or making up your own rules,

Playing restores you.

My mom used to say, "Oh, I feel human again!" when she felt restored.

to 'be a stretch' for someone is be too hard for someone.
"I know astrophysics is a bit of a stretch for you, but try to follow along anyways."

If your mind has stretched, then you've grown or learned something, your mind has gotten bigger.

"All work and no play makes Johnny a dull boy."
"All play and no work makes Johnny a dull boy."

dull = boring
dull also = stupid

egalitarian = creating equality in a group
necessarily = it has to happen like that

lord it over = behavior that emphasizes your belief in your superiority

self-handicap = to deliberatly not use your full abilities to make the situation as equal as possible.

band = group of people